Sunday, December 28, 2014

New Year's Resolution - Letting go of Bad Habits

Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny. – Tryon Edwards
Here we are the last Sunday of 2014.  Where did 2014 go?  I’m not one to look back and wish I had done something different.  I don’t think living in the past is productive.  Sure you can always learn from the past, but living there, “No thanks!”  I’m ready for the New Year. 

To wrap up the year…let’s see, I’ve successfully gained the typical weight during the holidays.  I’ve successfully felt that I could have done better organizing.  Wait…halt, rewind!  It’s time for me to think differently.  It’s not okay to think it is okay to do what I didn’t want to do!  By the choices I made, I took action and accomplished exactly what I set out to do, even if it wasn’t what I really wanted.  I didn’t want to gain weight.  I simply chose to eat more than I should. I ended up yet again more disorganized than I wanted.  I simply chose to pile instead of file. 

What’s the common denominator?  I chose to repeat my bad habits!  A new year is a perfect time to replace bad habits with good habits.

At this time of year, it is common to put together a list of Goals or Resolutions.  Then by week three or four, it’s right back to the old habits and another year of the same old results.  Now that I’m 50, I’m a little discouraged to read that only 14% of people over 50 achieve their resolutions each year.  That makes me wonder, what is it that 14% of the people do?  What makes them stick to their resolutions?  

Maybe it is simply letting go of bad habits?  Until you’re okay with letting go of your bad habits, you inadvertently hang on tighter resulting in yet another year of missed goals.  Stopping the bad habits might be the key to success. 

Hmmm…Your thoughts can lead you to a greater purpose.  Your purpose gives you motivation for action.  Your actions form new habits.  New habits create your character, and lo and behold, you’re on to the destiny you desire.

So if my purpose is to accomplish my resolution list by letting go of bad habits, can I switch my thinking for the Top 10 Resolutions from 2014?  As a result ultimately getting to the destiny I desire?  I’m game, how about you?  New Year's Resolution Stats
  1. Lose weight = “Stop eating ½ bag of chips every night.”
  2. Get Organized = “Stop piling, file right away.”
  3. Spend Less, Save More = “Stop impulse buying, wait 24-48 hours before making a purchase.”
  4. Enjoy Life to the Fullest = “Stop focusing on what is bugging you.”
  5. Stay Fit and Healthy = “Stop sitting for more than an hour without moving.”
  6. Learn Something New = “Stop doing the same thing every day, if it feels like a rut, it is.”
  7. Quit Something = “Stop rationalizing to keep doing the thing you want to stop doing.”
  8. Help Others in Their Dreams = “Stop talking, just listen.”
  9. Fall in Love = “Stop being content with status quo.”
  10. Spend More Time with Family = “Stop technology distractions, i.e., texts, snaps, etc. focus on the people in your life.”


Thanks for stopping by!  Cheers to a New Year!  Cheers to letting go of old habits! ~

PS.  Photography 50 Clicks of Snow.  Yesterday I woke up to snow, 5 inches of it.  It was still snowing and blowing out but so pretty.  I knew that I wanted to explore taking pictures of the snow.  I researched on how to capture some pictures in the snow, and protect my camera at the same time.  I think the tips you can find are more for the hard core photographers who spend the whole day in the elements.  Since it was cold and blowing, I was only out there for 20 minutes to get my 50 clicks in. My camera didn't get cold enough to get condensation on the lens.  Hardly hard core!  My mission was to capture snow texture and contrast.  It has been so darn gloomy here…20 some days in a row without the sun.  Just the white of the snow brightened up things a bit.  Today though…the sun was shining bright for a bit.  I wasn't brave enough to venture out in the 12 degrees.  Pictures today were taken from the window looking out at the beauty of the frost.  

Under exposed

Better

Over exposed

Better, but the car in the background...jeez!

Still love close ups and background blurred

Cropped it even more, love the little water droplet

Pretty but gloomy at the same time.

Focus on the back ground

Focus on the foreground - Love the sunshine!

Snow can be so pretty!





No comments:

Post a Comment