Sunday, November 10, 2013

Spend your energy finding answers

Don’t dwell on what went wrong.  Instead, focus on what to do next.  Spend your energies on moving forward toward finding the answer.  Denis Waitley
Welcome back!  This week's lesson - capture depth of field.  Depth of field is where the camera focuses in the picture.  What ends up being in focus and what doesn't.  Good photography, is about finding the right answer in your pictures.  Makes me wonder if Denis Waitley enjoyed photography as much as he enjoyed sharing his secrets of success?  The quote above, really does fit for photography.

I do really well at taking pictures that show what went wrong.  I'm continually reminding myself that's the fun part of learning photography skills, especially digital photography.  All you have to do is delete the bad ones and keep moving forward until you get the good ones with the right answer.  You have to take bad ones to learn what not to do.  I keep some of the bad ones to remind myself that I am moving forward.

Depth of field helps you capture unique photos of ordinary things.  With my camera, it is pretty easy to do so without even knowing what I did right, the camera is smart.  I have figured out that it is about where you place the camera in relation to the subject.  Where it ends up focusing is the discovery process that I find fascinating.

I'm not going to get stuck on the bad ones.  I'm going to enjoy the good ones of this week.  Just the motivation I need to take more and learn more.  Next week's lesson "shutter effects."

Thanks for stopping by ~ enjoy focusing your energy on moving forward to find right answers ~

A row of glads ready to dry up for the winter;
they are all in focus, no real depth of field

Moved in a little closer, all still in focus.

A little closer, still all in focus. Well, maybe the
outer edges are beginning to un-focus

Change the angle and now the background begins
to get out of focus, I'm starting to see the depth
of field difference.

Now I can see the difference, look at all
those baby flowers that won't produce
anything because they aren't mature enough.
See how the camera focused on the bulb in
the front?

This picture is more interesting.  Weird flowers, no
wonder they are so pretty when they actually
bloom.  There's so much stuff going on under
the ground!  Seeds of Greatness (as Denis would say)

Photo bombed by Copper!  I focused on the
second flower, not the first, now I'm getting
the depth of field down.

The fog one morning was so cool.  

I changed where the camera took the picture,
less ground,.  This one is more interesting, the tree
stands out more.

These two love to stare at each other
through the door - which two....?

My favorite one of the week, I finally
got a cool picture of the
moon, and it was in focus by
changing my settings...I can't
remember what they were though!
Time to take some more pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment