Sunday, November 3, 2013

Don't be bitter, just enjoy

There will be times when you will be in the field without a camera.  And, you will see the most glorious sunset or the most beautiful scene that you have ever witnessed.  Don’t be bitter because you can’t record it.  Sit down, drink it in, and enjoy it for what it is! – DeGriff
This past week, my camera assignment was to learn about exposure.  Light in front of me, sensitivity to the light (i.e., ISO on the camera), amount of light going through the lens - aperture, and the shutter speed.

Like the quote above, I missed many beautiful moments because I didn't have the camera set properly to capture them.  After a week of staring at my camera, wondering how to switch any of the buttons on it to adjust any of the above things, I finally took a dare this morning and switched the ISO.  Little did I know, I discovered that my daughter had set it on 800 and that's where I've been taking pictures ever since.  I think I need to study this topic further.  Is there really a difference?  Seems to me the camera is pretty smart on it's own when it is set on automatic.  If I look closely at the pictures, there is a subtle difference.

The first lesson on exposure was to discover "The Sunny 16 rule".  I still don't know that I had the camera set right, but I definitely had the ISO set to 100, the sun was behind me and I took pictures of lots of objects and they look okay to me.  I guess I won't be bitter because I don't know if I captured them right or not?  I simply enjoyed the moments for what they were.  An opportunity to continue discovering photography.

Thanks for stopping by - enjoy the sit down, drink it in moments of life!  Next week, depth of field will be my assignment, along with continuing on with exposure, I think there might just be something to that after all...

ISO 800, sun shining on the frost on the trees

Sun to my left, the frost on
the leaves - reminds me I better
pull these out of the ground today...

Close up of the frost.

Shadow of the flower, looks almost like a heart to me.

ISO 800 looking into the sun, the frost was
pretty to look at, not so great in the picture.  I
hadn't discovered the ISO 100 thing yet.  Plus, you're not
supposed to look into the sun according to the lesson.

ISO 800 - kinda dull picture

ISO 100 - I think I see a difference...the yellow is brighter.
ISO 100 - the greens are prettier than the
ISO 800 picture, but then I'm further away than
the first picture.

Frost is clearer with the ISO 100

Sun to the right, the frost is easier to see.

Sun to my back and looking up - can't see the frost
as much, the sun had melted it away on this
side of the tree.  Nice contrast of colors though.


Ah...Copper has it right, it's time for a run...I always
see picture worthy moments when I'm running.
I always enjoy them, and I never have my camera
with me to capture them! 



No comments:

Post a Comment