Friday, June 21, 2013

Conscience

Cowardice asks the question, ‘Is it safe?’  Expediency asks the question, ‘Is it politic?’  Vanity asks the question, ‘Is it popular?’ But, conscience asks the question, ‘Is it right?’  And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because one’s conscience tells one that it is right. – Martin Luther King, Jr.
Can you imagine living at the time when Martin Luther King lived?  I bet it would have been interesting to watch him in his quest for doing what is right despite the odds.

As I sit here typing this morning, and my little dog is pacing around my feet because the storm is scaring him, I'm having a hard time deciding what the right thing to do is.  He's being a coward for sure.  There's no consoling him, especially when it is storming outside.  Is that what it is like for people at times?  Do we tend to focus on what our needs and our safety instead of the bigger picture?  Do we just start to panic or become selfish?  Probably, we've all operated that way at times.

For expediency, I should just pick him up.  I should hold him, but he wants to just sit and panic.  Would that be right to console him and reinforce his panic?  I'd probably be popular with him if I pick him up.  Or should I just remain calm and steady and do the right thing by not reinforcing his panic?  This storm shall pass.

Lucky for me...my husband just got up and he's following him now.

Happy Friday!  Thanks for stopping by - I'm wishing you a great day!


 
Moving target...no smiling from him!

Panting is his mode of operation this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment