Saturday, July 20, 2013

Thoughts on weeds

Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them. – A A Milne
I've been thinking a lot lately about priorities.  I'm wondering if by accepting the fact that I can't always do everything I want to do, is it an okay thought or not?  It really hits home when I walk around my yard and look at the pathetic flower gardens of this year's crop.  I can definitely tell they have been low on my priority list.  Last year, I made them a priority, and they were a lot more fun to water and look at.  I personally love flowers, but a green thumb effect takes way more time than available this year.  I guess it is just a matter of deciding what's really important to you.

I wonder if that's what AA Milne was talking about in the quote above?  Weeds in the garden can teach us some lessons.  The weeds tend to blossom and spread faster than the real flowers.  They have a level of admirable tenacity.  Their lack of fear of taking over and carrying on can be inspirational.  Well, at least that's my observation when I look around at the flower beds.  I could think the same about the glads I planted again this year.  I did put a lot of effort into preparing them for storage last fall.  I waited much too long to plant them because I wasn't sure of when the last frost was really going to be, and they were low on my priority list.  Planting them on Father's Day this year is really too late, but they too are showing some tenacity. Guess through the weeds I can still see some of my original priorities, which is comforting that I didn't really give up everything.  

If your priorities take you down a different route, is it worth the guilt to hold on to the old priorities?  Maybe it is just better to get to know the new priorities, learn from them, weed out what isn't essential to your priorities and enjoy the feeling of getting to know something new.  

Happy Saturday!  Thanks for stopping by!  Enjoy sorting out the priorities in your life!

You can see what is winning the space here.

I find this plant interesting, how did it get
all wrinkled as it grew?


Baby marigolds.  They are generally very
easy to grow...not this year!

Old faithful - 8 years now this plant still blooms.

First pass of the "weeding" session.  Just what
I needed...another "to-do"!  Maybe the blossoms
on the weeds will be pretty enough to enjoy and
I won't worry about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment