Sunday, September 22, 2013

Five senses - A new journey in learning photography - On Smell

Observe, record, tabulate, communicate.  Use your five senses…Learn to see, learn to hear, learn to feel, learn to smell, and know that by practice alone you can become expert. – William Osler
Yesterday marked my 300th blog post.  I started out with great discipline, waking up every morning with a burning desire to blog about something random and to discover how my camera worked.  My dog Copper and I set out on an adventure that eventually wore out my little camera.  Tons of horrible pictures and a few I still enjoy looking back at.  We were on a roll.

Then life threw a curve ball or two and I had a hard time finding time and topics to blog about.  It was no longer the stage that I love...the process of learning how to do something.  That's exactly when I should try to look at differently.  I'm not an expert yet, so that means there's more to learn, I just need to change it up a bit.

I have a different camera now.  It is a Canon Rebel XSi.  It remains a bit intimidating.  Unfortunately, I still use it too often as a point and click camera.  Geez...my cellphone does that!  I've got to figure out how to use it as intended.  I've read the book, but that still doesn't tell me how to change up my approach to learning it.  Since I'm a little strapped for cash, a paid lesson isn't my next step.  Enter in a google search.

I found a cool website with free lessons. That'll be my next step for learning.  Are you up for watching this discovery unfold?  Thanks for stopping by to support me on this next phase in learning.  

Lesson 1 - Find a topic you enjoy photographing.  Hmmm...how about the quote above as a starting point? Yep, that'll work, I'll use it for a theme to learn more about my camera.

Capturing all of my five senses on film.  Can my pictures communicate the five senses??

Smell...are you ready Copper?  Of course, his little nose is always ready!







No comments:

Post a Comment