Saturday, September 21, 2013

Steely eyed looks

If you can't take a steely-eyed look at what you're good at -- and what you're not good at -- then you're in for trouble before you begin. - Nancy Koehn Harvard Bus Schl Professor
I often wonder how many times in life does a person really take a look at who they are, what they are doing, what they wish they were doing and dream it was different?  Maybe it is our nature to long for change no matter how happy we really are?  Maybe we always want it to be just a bit better?  We wouldn't continue growing if we didn't, right?

What do you do to take a "steely-eyed" look at what you're good at?  Do you just know you're talented and you're doing exactly the right thing at the right time in life?

What if you realize you're not there yet, what do you do?  Do you step back, look at the situation differently?  Do you throw your hat into a different position, send off a resume and remind yourself you're never really stuck anywhere?  Do you say, "Nah...this isn't for me and move on?"  Or...do you fight just a little harder and change your approach and see the possibilities?  Do you sit back and let things unravel and wait patiently, because you do think with time it'll get better?

Having gone through many changes in the last few years, I've taken many hard looks at myself.  My favorite moments of discovery come when I grab the camera and take random pictures.  I can see things differently because I'm not stuck with my one view.

I love visual things, so I'm always on the look out to see something differently.  As I've said from the get-go, I'm an amateur at photography.   That means I'm taking a "steely-eyed" look at myself every time I take a round of pictures.  I love the fact the camera takes what I'm looking at with my eyes and shows me there is a different perspective.  What I saw is often times much different than what the camera caught digitally.

There are days I'm in trouble before I begin, maybe because I had no goal or I was simply not focusing due to too many distractions.  Sometimes I hit the mark.  I, more times than not, have to remind myself, it's all about being willing to just take a risk and get busy discovering new things.

Thanks for stopping by - enjoy your steely-eyed moments of discovery!

Turn flash off before taking a picture through
the window!

Birds of a feather,
flock together.

A single, focused moment.

Sometimes the view to
new opportunities is blocked.

Look up from the bottom

Keep trying....there's more than one view

Flip-off someone if you feel like it (don't let them
see you though...you don't want to be too mean)

Take a steely eyed look

Reflect....(watch out for
photo bombs!)

Just don't lay around too long...you might
just get lazy!

No comments:

Post a Comment