Sunday, September 29, 2013

Old smell, new smell

When you start using senses you’ve neglected, your reward is to see the world with completely fresh eyes. – Barbara Sher
Just me, back again at a random time.  My camera assignment this past week was to capture "smell" in my photos.  I would think since smell is all around us, that should be an easy task.  Well...it turns out that it wasn't so easy for me.  I guess I've taken my sense of smell for granted!

I wonder if smell is just more of a personal thing?  Say I'm in a crowd at the fair and I take a picture of the cotton candy booth and show it to you.  Would you first think of the smell of the cotton candy or the color or the taste you remember?  What about if I shared a picture of rain, would you think of the smell in the air or the appearance of the wet rain drops?   What if I took a picture of old carpet and you've never experienced the removal of it, would you think of the smell or the appearance of it first?

Oh well, here's what I've come up with this week.  I'm assuming that if you've had prior experience with removal and replacement of carpeting you'd relate these pictures to smell in a way...

Thanks for stopping by - enjoy your moments of fresh air!  Next "sense" to capture in photos...touch.

Several tenants later...time for this
yucky carpet to go!

Carpet not only holds dirt, it holds years
and years of smells.

Ewe...more than one layer to capture
the smell...

Oh my, no wonder the room smelled!

There are really pretty floors underneath. 

The cold air return harbored some
dust catching odors too!

Ah...new carpet, nice enough to lay on!


Worth the effort, worth the fresh
smell!

No comments:

Post a Comment