Sunday, January 26, 2014

Appreciation of changes over time

I want to appreciate you without judging.  Join you without invading.  Invite you without demanding.  Leave you without guilt. – Virginia Satir
Appreciation – Week 6 in 49 Weeks ‘til I’m 50 – Ready, Set, it’s all about A FOCUSed plan to get there!

Today brings us to the third “A” in A Future looking forward to being 50 – Appreciation.  As we age, there’s much to appreciate about the past, the present and the future.  What we did in the past to take care of ourselves, brings us to how we can approach our current lives.  Are you as fit as you’d like to be?   If so, great, if not, there’s no time like the present to begin something to change the way our future looks.  We’ve spent nearly 50 years being a certain way and we can choose how we spend the rest of our lives. 

Last week I mentioned that I had gone to a Wellness event.  If you’re anything like me, you can’t go to an event about wellness, and not come out of it without at least one thing to try or do to improve yourself.  That is unless you’re perfect.  If you are perfect, congratulations, perhaps you should be writing a blog on how you got there!  But…I’m not that person. 

I decided to commit to a couple of changes after the event.  The first one was to accept the 30 Day Butt Challenge: http://30dayfitnesschallenges.com/30-day-butt-challenge/ .  Did you check it out?  Doesn’t the first week look doable?  

If you’ve read any of my previous posts, you know that I am a runner.  Not a marathoner, I’m a runner to keep “fit” or at least to keep my weight within a reasonable range.  I do keep toying with the idea of running a 1/2 marathon before I'm 50.  Until then, I run to burn off the calories from the days when the Tostitos and Hummus were the meal of choice.  Not the healthiest route, but admittedly I know it well.  It is one of my weaknesses I unfortunately enjoy.  The scale tells me running does help me maintain my weight.  There is a level of cardio I benefit from as well.  Of course I assumed that running means my legs have muscles. Muscles to go forward, to climb hills, to take me miles away and back.  Therefore, I definitely should not have trouble with a butt challenge!

Wait a second…I also have to remember I’m approaching 50.  What happens to our skin as we age?  I’m now guessing there is a reason so many plastic surgeons have booming businesses after all.   There really is a difference in shape and tone as you age.  A long time ago, I made a promise to myself that I would never weigh more than I did the day I got married.  That’s my bench mark.  The only time I allowed a deviation was during pregnancy.  I didn’t think, way back then, that that wouldn’t be enough.  Just keeping within that weight range should be enough right?  We also learned at the Wellness meeting that people can be skinny and still be fat or at least not “tone” or healthy. 

So jeez…not wanting to judge too much, I thought am I really in shape?  As I started the program I really began to wonder.   There were “new” muscles in my legs that I didn’t know I wasn’t using as I was running.  Being the inquisitive person that I am, with camera in hand, I was brave enough to take a few selfies!   Silly me, I thought there’s no better way to see if I was really in as good of shape as I thought I was.  My clothing still fits nicely, but good golly it apparently does the trick of hiding some imperfections I didn't really know I had.  Yep, I took a before shot and got that measuring tape out to see if there really is a change after 30 days.  

As I grabbed my camera and took those horrifying shots, I definitely had a Yikes moment!  I ran to my computer and sent my friend an email and told her I was committed to the 30 day challenge.  I’m demanding a change for myself.  I will definitely not leave that image behind without any guilt!  I am secretly waiting for the 30 days to get over so I can take the after shot.  Here’s to hoping that the elasticity doesn’t win! 

How do we appreciate the loss of elasticity as we age?  That’s really what it is isn’t it?  I remember back to my early 30’s and early 40’s thinking that sag won’t happen to me.  I’ll stay active, I’ll maintain my weight, and I won’t be sagging when I’m 50.  My inspiration way back in the early 80’s was seeing Jane Fonda in On Golden Pond.  As she was approaching 50, she was in the best shape of her life.  Remember the Jane Fonda Workout?  There is definitely something to continuing exercise that keeps you younger looking longer.  It was working for her at that time so I jumped on board and started her exercises.  Then life took on work, marriage, pregnancy, childbirth, parenting, and then working full-time in a sitting position 8+ hours a day.  Is there any wonder changes in "shape" occur as we age?
 
Here I am, telling you that even remaining active can’t prevent the aging skin, losing elasticity is natural.  But, can being more active now, slow it down?  That’s my new inspirational challenge.  I’m going to join the change of being 50 without allowing it to invade my life in an adverse way.  I watched my mom in her 50’s not fight.  She was overweight, diabetic, had hypertension and high cholesterol and she rarely exercised.  For the next 15 years, she enjoyed her sedentary life.   Her choices remain an inspiration to me of what not to do.  I’d rather die in a running accident than die due to dementia secondary to a stroke.  The diseases she had are preventable, they aren’t hereditary to me.   I can appreciate her love for the good life as she was a happy person before the diseases got the best of her.  I can appreciate the things that I can do to prevent the diseases from taking over my life.  Just doing that will be the best gift I can give myself. 

The second commitment I made had nothing to do with the Wellness meeting.  I had this long 5 week discussion with myself re: greying hair.  I have gone back and forth between dreading the change, wanting to appreciate the grey without judging it, join it without letting it invade my life, invite it without demanding it to be okay, and leave the coloring without guilt.  

I’m one of those lucky ones, my grey is evenly distributed over my whole head.  I started getting grey hairs when I was in 7th grade so apparently I have it mastered now.  I didn’t start coloring it though until I was 40.  I had promised myself that when I turn 50, I’d be done with coloring it.  Now, I’m starting to second guess that commitment.  I even went so far as to ask my husband, my daughter’s and my hairdresser for permission to just let the grey take over.  You’d think that after all the support I’ve given them over the years and all those moments where a few of the greys came in due to things they may have caused me to worry about, I assumed they’d be like, “Go for it, embrace the change, do it, go grey!  Nope, not a single one said, “go for it.”  It was more like, “you’ll look old,” and “you won’t like it.” Whatever!

So I grabbed my camera again…YIKES!  The truth shall set me free!  I had let the time between colorings go a bit longer.  Long enough to see proof positive that I don’t really want to go grey yet.  I had a heart to heart with my hairdresser.  She’s right around the same age, so very supportive and she knows the secrets of the masses who color.  She ran through the options of what I could do to go grey gradually, and then I asked her, what should I do?  She said “look at that face, you’re not old yet.”   So I caved from my bravery and colored it all again.  Some things about aging you can “change” after all!  I will get to the point of letting that beautiful grey stand alone, but until then, I’m sure I’m not alone in the world of coloring the grey. 

We can slow the aging process down by appreciating our lives.  Appreciating the things we can change and appreciating the things we can’t.  Appreciate all the moments!  What are you going to do?  Thanks for stopping by, next week’s topic – Abundance.

PS – this week shooting in the RAW took on a new meaning.   Is there any truth to the saying that the camera adds 10 pounds?  Yeah, that’s it…!   I wonder if Jared from FroKnowsPhoto colors his fro?   

The wind overnight created this beautiful
smooth drift.

I even captured the wind blowing over it.

The winds of time create curves and dimples
in the snow.  It must be natural over time to get
some curves and dimples as we age!

That once smooth drift, has cellulite too!

Unlike the leaves that turn grey and die, our
hair doesn't grow in nice and green as we loose it...

These precious little green leaves made it
through the dead leaves.  Amazing!

Holy crap...that's a lot of nice and even grey!
Precious white hairs growing through the black!
Time to wash that grey right out of my hair!

A martini may make you  happier about the grey,
but coloring it is easier and longer lasting therapy!
Olive oil is good for you though...
Cheers to the aging process!


  

No comments:

Post a Comment