Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Resilience matters

Part of resilience is deciding to make yourself miserable over something that matters, or deciding to make yourself miserable over something that doesn’t matter. – Elizabeth Edwards
True to my randomness - I took a mini-break and am posting 1 1/2 days late from my normal routine.  I'm a morning person and would much rather post at that time.  But today...I ran out of time.  So here I am, posting in the evening and seeing how that works for me.

Tonight when I took my dog Copper for a walk, as we walked back into the yard, I noticed the pile of tree branches finally uncovered from the snow piles.  The sunlight was shining just right for me to notice the difference in color on the branches.  Upon closer look, the trees had been partially stripped of the bark.  The rabbits had built their community there through the winter.  They used their resourceful nature and ate the tree bark when they couldn't find grass to eat.  They were also incredibly resourceful in producing a large pile of rabbit do-do while staying alive through the winter.

I wondered, if I was a rabbit, would I be miserable by a huge pile of snow that required me to live in a brush pile or would I be less miserable because I had a place to sleep while the snow fell throughout the winter?  Either way - it appears they had a feast, had a place to sleep, and had a place to survive through the long winter.  Resourceful?  Yes, I guess so!

Happy Tuesday - thanks for stopping by!  Enjoy your moments of resourcefulness!

A rabbit mansion.

Grass for bedding, trees for nibbling on.

How did they reach some of these
branches, and how did we not see them?

Rabbit do-do - I think I'd be miserable without
a separate room for this...

I guess this is the other room....

No comments:

Post a Comment