Friday, May 10, 2013

Simple photography practice

What’s really important is to simplify.  The work of most photographers would be improved immensely if they could do one thing; get rid of the extraneous.  If you strive for simplicity, you are more likely to reach the viewer. – William Albert Allard
Looking around at my desk this morning, one would think that I'm not a fan of simplicity.  More like a fan of chaos!  I know it will just take a bit of focused time on my desk and it will be back to a simple pile.  The chaos wouldn't be something fun to photograph unless I was going for a before and after shot.

I do enjoy taking pictures of simple things though.  I like trying to focus and simplify the subject in the picture.  Last night I was enjoying looking out at the rain while waiting for Copper to finish his business outside.  Taking pictures of a dog doing their business would be the simple thing to do, but not really interesting to me.  On second thought...he does do this cute little tripod stance which might be interesting to capture on film some day.

Instead, I looked down at the yard ornaments placed about since the turn of spring.  I liked the lighting of the afternoon rain and the subtle shadows. The green of the grass, the water splashing about, and the clouds in the sky.  All added to the beauty and complexity of the scene.   Focus, focus, focus.  So I chose one, and took a few pictures from different perspectives.  Nothing earth shattering, just a simple topic to take pictures of and practice different techniques.  It's all about the practice for me...

Happy Friday!  Thanks for stopping by!  Enjoy your moments of simplicity today.






No comments:

Post a Comment