Friday, October 9, 2015

Get ready, let your mind be so

“All things are ready, if our mind be so.”
– William Shakespeare, Henry V
I decided when I turned 50 I was going to make it a year of trying new things.  I didn’t really have a bucket list of things to try, just knew that if a new opportunity presented itself, I wasn’t going to immediately say "no."  Especially if it didn’t feel comfortable or something I knew right away I wanted to do.

Being an introvert and a planner by nature can make it harder to go out of your comfort zone. For me, if I’ve never done it, I typically want to research it before doing it or at least consider it for a day or two (or more) before committing.  Somehow that felt safe, but it has also limited my new experiences and opportunities to grow.  

So this year, with my “mind be so” to try new things, I have done stuff I never tried before!  I've said "yes" and then did the research to get ready.  You know what, it has been fun and not as scary as I thought it would be. 

What are a few of the things I have said, "Yes!" to or took a chance on my own to try?
  • Submitted articles to a magazine to be published – 2 submitted, 2 published
  • Applied for a Leadership Training course – accepted
  • Applied for a Volunteer for Coalitions and a Non-Profit Organization to be a Trainer – accepted in 3 counties
  • Painting Parties – 3 attended
  • A new role at work – my role seems to morph a lot, thankfully, I learn new things all the time
  • A TV commercial and interview - did both
  • Gave a personal speech presentation in front of strangers – 2 times in one day

Wow, guess that's not too shabby for a 50 year old introvert.  I think I chose the right mind set for this year!  

Thanks for stopping by!  If you're up for it, don't let too many sunsets go by until you've set your mind on a new track in life.   






No comments:

Post a Comment