Sunday, October 18, 2015

The atrophy of fall

Autumn wins you best by this its mute appeal to sympathy for its decay. – Robert Browning
Autumn is a time to scramble and get “outside” jobs done before the snow flies.  One of the tasks we complete is prepare the gardens for rest for the winter.  It’s time to do so when the frost shuts the flowers down. 

I’ve been watching out the window as the stages of atrophy have taken hold on the flowers planted this year.  The further away from the house they are, the quicker they changed to brown and readiness to be done.  It’s time to harvest marigold and morning glory seeds for next year’s crop.   

I do feel a sense of sympathy for the flowers.  They took the whole summer to get to full bloom and now, they are done.  It simply reminds me of the importance of life.  Each phase plays a role in atrophy so continuity can happen.

I find beauty in all the stages.  I look forward to preparing the gardens for the next year.  Each stage reminds me life keeps on going, and we are to keep on going with it. 

Thanks for stopping by!  Happy Fall-Atrophy!  







No comments:

Post a Comment