Sunday, October 4, 2015

To the moon and back

I’ve never seen a moon in the sky that, if it didn’t take my breath away, at least misplaced it for a moment. – Colin Farrell
 I remember when it happened, yes, I do!  The moment the moon became something that will take my breath away every time I see it.

Walking with my daughter across a field, she looked up and saw the moon.  I said to her, “That’s the Moon.”  I spelled it to her in a song like voice “M-O-O-N”.  She repeated it in a fun like voice and that was our beginning of loving the moon together. 

When her younger sister was old enough to learn how to spell, our song-like spelling of “M-O-O-N” was high on the list to teach her.  Funny…they’re both young adults now, and when we see the moon, we still say out loud or think “M-O-O-N” and smile. 

I think of my daughters every time I see the moon.  Raising kids is like shooting to the moon and back.  Sometimes the best moments are tough to see in the clouded thoughts of the day.  Other moments are crystal clear and you know you’re in the right place at the right time.  My favorite moments are all of those moments. 

Now that they are young adults, I love it when they’ve been off discovering their own lives and they come back to tell me what they’ve been up to.  In a way, they’ve shot off to the moon and came back to share. 

When I sit quietly looking at the moon, I think of my kids and the saying, “I love you to the moon and back.”  Our lives together so far have rich memories, and so many more to create. 

Thanks for stopping by!  



No comments:

Post a Comment