Saturday, October 31, 2015

Halloween inflation

Researchers tell us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. – Sandra Boynton
Hmmm…imagine this horror story for Halloween.  It’s official, my husband and I are being empty nesters for Halloween “trick-or-treaters”again.  What do I mean, again?  We’re on a roll, it’s been 23 years.  Yes, 23 years!

I can’t remember when we had “trick-or-treaters” stop at our house so it must be that many years.  We haven’t been visited because we don’t advertise we have any candy by the traditional pumpkin lit on the doorstep.  We don’t live “in-town," it’s too far out for people to find us.  And, the ultimate “leave us alone” clue, we turn the lights off so it looks like we’re not home. 

Oh, my gosh, guess that makes us Halloween Curmudgeons!  

I do have fond memories of when our kids were little and excited about “trick-or-treating.”   I don’t really like disappointing kids, I’m not that mean.

Yesterday, the day before Halloween (the candy is fresher then right?), on a whim, I decided just in case we do get a “trick-or-treater” maybe we should have some candy available.  So I grabbed a bag of Snickers.  I didn’t even look at the price, just threw the bag in the cart.  I just know they’re a popular type of candy bar.  Plus they freeze well to be used later for Snicker Bar Salad.  Snickers is a safe candy of choice. 

Shocking horror #2 for the day…have you checked out the prices of candy lately?  Remember I haven’t bought candy for Halloween for 23 years.  Way back when you could get a bag for less than $5.00.   I was horrified when I went to the check out and had to break a $20 to pay for 1 bag of candy.  When did Snickers turn to “gold”? 

Here’s to hoping our running streak of no “trick-or-treaters” holds true today!  I’m definitely freezing the bag for posterity sake or the Snicker Bar salad so I get more chocolate for my buck.  Sorry kids!

I feel for all of you who have tons of “trick-or-treaters!" Thank you for your generosity and for taking one (or $100's) for the Halloween team!  

Thanks for stopping by (or not really stopping by...my candy is frozen today!) ~ Enjoy your Halloween!



  

No comments:

Post a Comment