Sunday, March 17, 2013

Wish me luck, please grow back Shamrock plant

There’s a dear little plant that grows in our isle, ‘Twas St. Patrick himself, sure, that set it; and the sun on his labor with pleasure did smile, and with dew from his eye often wet it.  It thrives through the bog, through the brake, and the mireland; and he called it the dear little Shamrock of Ireland… - Andrew Cherry
Today is an adventure to see if I have a green thumb.  Well, at least a green thumb for taking care of my Shamrock plant.  It's been looking a little not so happy, so I'm taking a risk and mowing it.  

How did I come upon this little treasured plant?  On one of my last days at work (before the long unemployment month), one of my dear employees and friends gave me her Shamrock plant.  She said she couldn't take it home because of her cats.  I think of it as a gift of good luck.  It reminds me of the good luck I received when I was able to share time working with her.  I smile every time I water the plant or look up to see how it changes throughout the day/night.

The neatest thing about shamrock plants is how they react to light.  They fold up their leaves on overcast days or at night and open up on sunny days when there is light.  A phenomenon is called nyctinastic movements.

Unfortunately, the Shamrock grass is toxic to cats.  I had to place my plant out of reach from our cats.  The spot I chose wasn't the best for the plant, so it is currently in a state of needing trimming.   I'm going to trim it down and take it to work with me for good luck.  The location at work will allow it some freedom to grow in a indirect, sunny window away from our cats.  A little stroke of luck to have a beautiful sunny window to look out for me too!

The Shamrock planted pots need to be positioned indoors where they can get indirect sunlight.  Oxalis plants do not tolerate temperature above 75 degrees during daylight hours. They need nighttime temperatures of 50 or less than 70 degrees. Temperatures differing from these ranges can start plants into early dormancy.  The location I have had the plant in at home doesn't fit this criteria, so another great reason to move it to work.

Since I'm a little forgetful on my watering schedule.  Droopy leaves are usually the indicator for me that it's time to water.  The Shamrock grass is a good match for me there too.  They prefer to be watered once in 10 or 14 days.  Allowing the soil to dry out in between watering.  Supposedly every two months oxalis containers should be flushed to remove accumulated salts from the soil with room-temperature water.   That's something I haven't done, and I don't recall seeing my friend do that either, so...I guess we'll just go with what's been working instead.   I also read that Shamrock plants do best when watered using purified or distilled water rather than tap water.  I've been using tap water, and the plant is still growing.  We'll see if it likes the new water at work before I try the flushing technique.

Overall, it is an easy and fun plant.  Remember it is grass, so watching it grow back after "mowing" is an added bonus to the luck of having a forgiving plant.    

Happy Saint Patrick's Day - thanks for stopping by - may the luck of the Irish be with you today and always!

Just starting to wake up for the day

The leaves gradually open up to the sunshine

Upon closer look though, there's more dying off grass,
time for a mowing.

A stalker appears in the distance.

Just let me sniff it.

Back off cat...it's time to mow, you don't want
your whiskers cut do you??? 

You can just cut off the dried ones, or pull them out.

My friend always cut them all off.  A true
mowing of the grass.

Toss out the grass, so the cats don't get poisoned.


Add water

Set in a nice place, in indirect sunlight.  I'm
going to set it here until I can transport it to
work.  Wish me luck...I hope it grows back!!


No comments:

Post a Comment