Saturday, December 29, 2012

Before you act - plan

Before you act, listen.  Before you react, think.  Before you spend, earn.  Before you criticize, wait.  Before you pray, forgive.  Before you quit, try.  – Ernest Hemingway
So, this is how it feels...my first official day of unemployment.  I woke up at the usual time.  Guess after 10+ years of getting up at the same time, sleeping in wasn't necessary.  It would be a good idea to keep a schedule while I'm unemployed.  My mind was in full gear when I woke up.  I'm actually very excited about having some time to get some projects done.  I made a list of all the things I was thinking of when I woke up.  I officially have 27 projects listed on my to-do list.  I definitely don't have boredom listed.  As I sit here in my office, (aka the collection zone for everything I brought home from my office at work, all the stuff that I was working on before the holidays, and the projects that I want to start) I can clearly see finishing my organizing project I started awhile ago remains tops on the list.  Yes, I'm admitting to being back to ground zero for that one.  Oh well, again, I've got a little time on my hands.

After reviewing the list, I forgot to add one major item.  Before conquering the to-do list, rest and relax.  Going through the closing of a company, saying goodbye to friends, and wondering what my purpose will be going forward is a bit overwhelming.  Check - a daily rest break added to my goals for this transition.  Ernest's quote above, is a great way to start!  One or two days of planning and preparation is definitely in order.  

Ah, permission to regroup...I do have some time on my hands.  I've reorganized my to-do list for today.  Starting out with a nice long walk on the treadmill and a few more chapters with Janet Evanovich!  Stephanie Plum and Lulu would be proud (especially since I took a sidetrack moment to eat a couple of cookies before putting on my treadmill shoes!)


No comments:

Post a Comment