Monday, December 31, 2012

Saying goodbye to 2012

How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard.
 – A A Milne (Winnie-the-Pooh)
Here we are, December 31st, 2012.  On the last day of the year I like to reflect on what the year was like, what I'd like to change for the next year, and of course set some goals. There are so many years where I remember sitting and saying..."Whew, I'm glad this year is over!"  This year has been a year full of losses.  Loss of our faithful Golden Retriever, loss of my mom and loss of a job.  All major losses in anyone's book, so with as many losses as I've experienced, I guess no one would blame me for being thankful the year is finally over.

As I sit here though, I'm not glad the year is over, I'm mostly thankful for the year.  Every moment shared with dear friends and loved ones remains a treasured memory that I will take forward to the next year.  I learned so much through all the moments of saying goodbye.  They have helped me grow and for that I feel lucky.

3 Simple lessons I learned in 2012:

Patience is extremely important.  There were many opportunities for me to learn how to sit and wait patiently.  Some things just take time and you can't speed them up.  I had the opportunity to hold Nick's paw as we said goodbye.  I had the opportunity to hold my mom's hand as we said our last "I love you and goodbye."  I had the opportunity to say goodbye to co-workers as the company closed.  We had time to share stories, laughter and tears.  I would never trade those beautiful moments.  I'm lucky I had those opportunities.

Sitting around too much doesn't keep the weight off.  Sometimes when I was feeling a bit sad, I would sit instead of walking or exercising.  I took more naps too.  If you don't burn off as many calories as you consume...or if you choose comfort food instead of movement the outcome is always the same.  I know I did not exercise as much as I wanted to.  I do feel like Pooh when he said "A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise."  I'm sure I won't be the only person who adds "exercise more" to their New Year's resolution list.

It's important to enjoy all the little things.  The big things will take care of themselves.  You only have the moments that are here, right now that matter.  What you say, what you do, how you treat someone in that moment really matters.  Make each moment count.  You have so many moments every single day that make up your lifetime.  Treasuring each and every moment makes you lucky.  When it's time to say goodbye, you feel blessed because you had the opportunity in the first place.  

Goodbye 2012 - It's hard to say goodbye because I'm glad it happened!  But...because it did, I'm lucky to be stronger and ready for new beginnings!!  

We still miss our Nick!

I have this Garfield comic strip posted on my desk -
it was in my mom's office and is a daily reminder to me.
It says, "Enjoy the little things and the big things
will take care of themselves"

A bear or two to hug, good friends, and experiences of
a lifetime (or at least the last 10+ years) -
all things I'm thankful for!  


No comments:

Post a Comment