Monday, December 3, 2012

DeStressing the Holidays - Minimize Decorations

Much of the stress that people feel doesn’t come from having too much to do.  It comes from not finishing what they’ve started. – David Allen
There are 22 days until Christmas Eve.  In the tradition of "random" thoughts, I'm taking the liberty to vary from my weekly schedule and shake it up a bit.  For the next 22 days I'll be blogging about how to de-stress for the holidays.  Hope you can find the time to take a break and join me in the stress reduction.  Please feel free to share a thought or two on how you de-stress for the holidays too!

Tip# 1:  Minimize Decorations - pair them down to something old, something new, and something true.

There's much to say about creating beauty by minimizing.  Think of pictures where the artist takes a black and white photo and then throws in a splash of color.  Just the addition of one color creates an appealing aspect to the photo.  I love to visit places that have transformed into a winter wonderland with decorations everywhere.  I'm sure there is a lot of work involved before and after, not to mention how much storage space that takes.  So this year, instead of going to extremes in decorating, I'm thinking about decorations in a minimal way.  We're just putting out the ones that really mean something to our family's basic traditions.  You know the ones, if they weren't out, they'd be missed.  The rest can simply take a rest this year.  I set out to complete the decorating in one day and what didn't make it out is heading back to the storage area.  Just a splash of decoration here and there makes it simple now and simple later when it is time to put them away as the season ends.  Deciding to put away what didn't make it out de-stresses because I'm taking away the "didn't finish what I started stress factor."

All of these boxes can go back to storage -
I'm deciding to go minimal!  Whew - what a relief!

The nativity scene - always a true tradition.
The wreath my mom painted YEARS ago
adds a little something "new" to our decorations.

My old "elf on the shelf" and the Santa
candle holders - very old from my mom's decorations
all new to our decorating.

Must have the stockings!

Of course the tree is a must - and now a
new ornament - from the Hospice service.
No stress Mom - just happy memories of you
this Christmas!


No comments:

Post a Comment