Monday, December 17, 2012

The Joy of Holiday Baking

Stressed spelled backwards is desserts.  Coincidence?  I think not! – Author Unknown

Tip #15 - 8 Days until Christmas.  Ah...Christmas baking day (1)!  My mouth just waters thinking of all the yummy cookies.  Yesterday was our "baking day".  After several hours of baking, I was pooped.  We hadn't even finished all the recipes we had set out to bake.  Sarah looked at me and profoundly said, "Well, if we hadn't taken so long to decide which cookie recipe to bake first, and if we hadn't waited so long to start, we would've got them all done!"  This coming from my little angel who likes to sleep in six hours past my wake up time and who brought her book into the kitchen to read as the cookies baked!  Huh...imagine that, if we would have had started earlier, had a better plan and focused more, we would have made more cookies.  See, there are so many opportunities in life to teach our children lessons.  It's even better when they discover them all by themselves!

Growing up, I remember watching my grandmother make TONS of cookies, all those fancy ones too.  I can't even spell their Norwegian names, but still remember them and how awesome they tasted.  I don't know how she did it or how she found the energy.  My mom carried on some of the traditions, like making Divinity.  Sarah and I made that last year.  It takes quite a bit of work and time.  Needless to say, it didn't land on our to-make list this year.  I do know that when I see those fancy cookies on a dessert tray or at a holiday party, you bet, they are the first ones to land on my dessert plate.  No stress!  Someone else has enjoyed making them for others to enjoy!  What a perfect way to share the joy of holiday baking. 

To decrease the stress for our family, we make our favorites and call it good.  I'm sure we'll get through at least a couple more recipes before Christmas.  We might just be baking every night this week!  Might have to buy some more butter though...

As the Norwegian Proverb says - Cookies are made with butter and love!  Enjoy your sweet treats!

Peanut Blossom Cookies - I treasure this recipe from
my dear friend and boss, she baked all the time!

Oh dear...that one won't fit on the cookies!

Peanutty CrissCrosses!  Gotta have some oatmeal
for fiber right?  Makes it a staple at Christmas
and year round!

SnickerDoodles - a must (I think it's the nutmeg in them
that makes them seem like a holiday cookie,
I would eat them year round!)

Raspberry Thumprints - Sarah enjoys coating
them with the almond flavored icing.  

Crazy, huge pile of Chex Mix -
Thank goodness for a roasting
pan and lots of stirring!  

Club Cracker Butter Brickle -
this was a new recipe on the list, a quick one at the
end of a long day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment