Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2013 - new habits here I come

Once we’re thrown off our habitual paths, we think all is lost, but it’s only here that the new and the good begins. – Leo Tolstoy
Happy New Year!!  So 2013 is really here.  As the calendar changes, it is a common time to break old habits, incorporate new habits and start fresh for the new year.  I always get a chuckle out of the turn of the calendar being the monumental change we are all looking for.  Probably because if I hadn't been planning for the big changes in advance, I don't think just a turn of the calendar makes that much of a difference in creating a new habit.  How about you?  Do you find it hard to break old habits?  Do you find it easy?  If you find it easy, what do you do different?  There's an old saying that it takes 21 days to create a new habit.  If that's the case, if I wanted things or my habits to be different on 1/1/13 I should have started on December 11, 2012.  Or,  if I'm going to make a change, then I will be different 21 days from now on 1/22/13 not on 1/1/13.

Is it your desire to do something different or the action behind doing something different that makes it become a new habit?  You're right - it's the action.  I guess I've rationalized myself into agreement that, today January 1st is where the "good" changes begin.  I don't have to be thrown off by my old habits, I'm going to choose a new habit or two.  But...those changes have to have a plan and a time frame or I'll be setting here on 1/1/14 thinking the same thing...what is so significant about the change of the calendar to a new year?

What are your New Year's Resolutions?  Mine are incorporated in this blog - I've found that simply publicizing my thoughts has brought a whole new level to commitment and dedication.  I've updated the look of my blog and my schedule (see my "Simply blogging for fun" page).  However, blogging for fun remains my main goal.  A side bonus for me is that I'm learning new habits about living life through discovering the random moments.  I love looking at things from different perspectives.  Learning something new each day and a commitment to be positive as I discover the moments makes life fun.  I hope you continue to join me on the discovery.

I'm planning on a great 2013.  There are so many new beginnings to look forward to!

My blogging central
Accomplice #1 - Tizzie
All cat, rarely sits long enough
to capture a great moment, but
she has MANY!

Accomplice #2 - Dessy
Moves slowly, lounges frequently and is
always up to posing for the camera.

Accomplice #3 - I'd really call him #1
Copper - my faithful and devoted fan.
ALWAYS ready for moments of discovery and
loves it when I slow down long enough to cuddle.


No comments:

Post a Comment