Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Cat's view on composition

The photographer has almost as much control over his subject matter as a painter.  He can control light and shade, form and space, pattern and texture, motion and mood, everything except composition. – Andreas Feininger
It's Tuesday - Photo Tips Tuesday.  This past weekend Sarah and I decided that what I really need to work on now is composition.  I feel more confident on how my camera works and what settings seem to fit better with each situation, so I think she's right (as usual).  As a side note, the auto setting really is the best on this camera.  Composition is tough...I'm just so excited to capture what I see that I often miss making sure of the composition of the picture.  Our cats are perfect models, they are always up to something interesting in real life.  The moment I pull out my camera, they turn into the "terrible twos" - never minding what I'm trying to capture.   Maybe I'll have to switch to pet mode on the camera again?  What are your favorite composition tips?   The cats think I need to have something fun to look at in order to at least get them looking in the same direction.  I suppose that's a little like taking kid portraits?   Still-life photography is always an option...

Remember the messy oven picture from Sunday's blog -
overnight with Easy Off did the trick
Back to the cats...

Hello...I'm taking your picture, look at me!

Caught Desy's attention, but Tizzie looked
the other way

Both looking at the object, but lighting is
too dark

Better lighting, but not a very
fun picture - yep,
composition is next on the to-do list!



No comments:

Post a Comment