Thursday, October 4, 2012

Happiness and giving go hand in hand

Happiness doesn’t result from what we get, but from what we give. – Ben Carson
One of the great discoveries of the past few years for me has been really learning the benefit of giving items away and the happiness that brings.  For a long time, when I had lots of extra energy, the clearing out of items was accomplished by having a yard/thrift sale.  When the kids were younger that was a cool way for them to learn the process of clearing out items they had outgrown.  For them to see first hand how sharing those items at reasonable prices brought happiness to the new owner.  They too had a bit of happiness as they watched the new owner walk out of driveway, leaving behind a small token of treasure they could then save or spend on something new.  The new learning stage they are teaching me, probably after watching all the years on how much time it really takes to do the thrift sale deal, is that it is easier and more fun to donate the items.  There's a sense of hope and reassurance in donating items.  There's the potential happiness that the donations will create in the new owner's life.  Even if the item doesn't sell, the party accepting the donation has a plan for all the items they receive.  I love the happiness it brings, especially watching my kids now take on the reassuring role - "Mom, it will be okay, you can do this, let go of those crazy things that have just been taking up space."  Plus they secretly love to laugh at me in my "crazy" state of being excited about silly little things.  They say I'm cute, but...I know better.  At least we all laugh together!  Yes, giving does give us happiness!

A few moments of happiness on our last trip to Saver's - thanks to my daughter and her roommate it was another fun trip!

Desi - helping me "sort" - well, just
making sure there is enough room in the box!

The donation pile, ready to load in
the car

We've arrived - let's capture a "facey" (I don't
know why I call them that, but it helps
keep the "crazy" image going)

Now, this is true "crazy" look (Yes,
what is w/ the left arm?)

Ready, here we come.  (I'm thinking,
what is that other car doing??? -
Just another crazy donating party,
going the wrong way)

Ah...comfort food after the adventure -
Sweet Potato Fries - YUMMMMM



No comments:

Post a Comment