Sunday, October 28, 2012

Memory Mittens

Simply touching a difficult memory with some slight willingness to heal begins to soften the holding and tension around it. – Stephen Levine
This week in the mail I received a letter from Hospice reminding me that it has been just over 6 months since my mom passed away.  The letter included a list of things you can do to continue the healing process. On the list said "sew a quilt from your loved one's favorite clothes."   I've had it on my "to-do" list to either make a quilt or a pillow or something out of the clothes I kept just for that purpose.  My mom always loved sweatshirts.  They were an easy gift to buy for her, easy for her to put on herself as her disease progressed, and they were just as cuddly as the bears she loved.  I thought about making a bear, but she had so many that we kept already, I didn't really need another one.  A pillow or quilt sounded better.  Then I came across the idea to make mittens out of sleeves of old sweatshirts.  I found the box of clothes I had put away, pulled out the sweatshirts to decide on which one to use.  One of the sweatshirts was one that I had decorated for her 18 years ago when I was into fabric painting.  She loved it and wore it many times.  Perfect, many memories and the best one for the prototyping.  Prototyping is right!  They didn't turn out the best, but they will be perfect for when I take Copper for a stroll, for when I run outside in the cool mornings, and when I'm just sitting outside in the fall.  I held my mom's hand through her last moments.  Now the memory mittens and memories of her will continue warming my heart and hands.  Yes, simply touching what I thought would be a difficult memory has added to the healing process.  Nope, no tears shed, only happy memories.

Mom's favorite sweatshirts and jeans

Make a pattern, I used an old
file folder

Cut out the pattern

Turn the sleeve inside out and place
the pattern on the sleeve.  I placed
it so that the outside seem could
be used for part of the mitten.

Double check to see if it fits your hand

Pin on the pattern.  I cheated too,
I used the other side of the sleeve for
the thumb side of the mitten for a loose
fit and less sewing.

Cut out the mitten

Looks pretty good, try it on.

Oops...not enough for the thumb, next one make bigger

Use the first mitten as the pattern
for the other sleeve and other
mitten.  Adjust for errors on the first one.

I adjusted for sizing.  Then sew them on
the sewing machine.

Funny shaped due to my sewing technique (it's
been a few years since I sewed, and I knew
I had to stay close to the edge)  Sweatshirt
fabric is tricky and slips.  If I cut the next pair
bigger, then I won't have to sew so close to the edge.

I cut a couple hearts out of the
rest of the seam in the sleeve,
sewed them on the mitten w/ the
fabric inside out.  I would highly
recommend sewing an embellishments
on before you sew up the mittens.

Well, they aren't perfect, but neither
was the sweatshirt 18 years ago,
but they are made of memories and love!

Fit just right....

When I showed my husband, he was speechless...
I'm pretty sure he wasn't as impressed as I was,
but as my mom would say -
"Whatever..."





No comments:

Post a Comment