Saturday, November 10, 2012

Clear out with tenacity - no more paper tigers!

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity. The fears are paper tigers. You can do anything you decide to do. You can act to change and control your life; and the procedure, the process is its own reward.  -Amelia Earhart
Silly Saturday #7 - As I sit here looking at the boxes and bags I've filled with the items I'm no longer keeping, I'm starting to feel a bit claustrophobic because I haven't moved them out of here yet.  I'm guessing it is a little like how a hoarder must feel.  There's very little motivation when there's no open space to think and breathe!  The messy stage of clearing out stuff definitely takes tenacity.  Not only am I working on this clearing out project at home, the company that I work for is closing at the end of the year.  After working there 10 years, there's a lot of "once needed" files and paper work to clear out there as well.  Once there is no need to refer back or work forward on anything, it's easy to clear out the stuff.  Very cathartic too!  I've enjoyed the paper clearing there.  At home, I feel like I can take time, put off a Saturday or two, move the boxes to a new location and deal with it later.  When there is a finite amount of time such as a closing date, there's no putting things off.  But I remember, I did indicate that I have a finite amount of time for this SILLY Saturday project, so there's only 5 weeks left.  Tenacity is definitely required here and at work.  I think I'll enlist the help of some "muscle", aka, my husband, to help move the boxes and join me on the donation road trip.  Oh Honey...I've got plans for our Saturday!  (If I hadn't given him a head's up yesterday, I might just be in trouble).

Here's a little pep talk to get motivated again.  How about a count down to the end of the year to remind us of how much time is really left in this project.

31 working days until the end of the year (I deducted 5 days off for holidays)
7 weeks until the end of the year
5 weeks left of the project
4 more paychecks to the end of the year (if you're bi-weekly on my same schedule)
45 shopping days until Christmas

Count "up" of what's been accomplished (i.e., encouraging moment):

So far I've shed this many pounds:
30 #'s of paper at home
100#'s of paper at work
25#'s of stuff in boxes at home
250#'s of stuff at work
4 areas of the home office have been organized
3 office areas at work are in the progress of clearing out

I'm feeling FREEDOM and LIGHTER already!!!!

Copper - faithfully keeping me
company in the middle of the path.
Oh dear...what a depressing mess!
Road trip time!!

He can sleep anywhere!  Isn't he cute...??

Time to arrange for ShredAway!!!
15#'s on average per bag!
Each ream of paper weighs 5.07#'s
Wouldn't it be nice if you could shed
weight that easy?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment