Sunday, November 25, 2012

Traditions worth continuing

Tradition simply means that we need to end what began well and continue what is worth continuing. – Jose Bergamin
What a great way to reduce the little bit of holiday stress that pops up at this time of the year.  End what began well and continue what is worth continuing.  If you ask my family they would agree.  For some reason this time of year always makes me melancholy.  I don't know if it is the stress of trying to keep up traditions, or if  it is the letting go of the traditions that just aren't appropriate anymore.  I like the newness of trying something different mixed in with a bit of an old tradition.  Each year has been a new journey for us at holiday time.  If you've been married for a bit of time maybe you can relate?  Remember back to your first holiday season together.  Remember how you morphed each of your family traditions into yours "together".  When you add a child or two (or more) or a pet or pets to the mix, you have to change the traditions to make it yours together with the new addition(s) to the family.  You can never really go back to the original tradition but you can mix it up with the new.  Looking back, bringing forward what is worth continuing, and holding on to the memory of what was treasured helps build upon your traditions whatever they are.

Aren't we lucky that the marketing world helps us do just that?   Is it luck or do they just know that's what happens, traditions keep coming back around just at the right time.  Look what I found in my treasure of ornaments and decorations.  The Elf on the Shelf!  I so wish I had the book, but then again, I don't know if we ever had the book.  I just know this little elf was always part of the tradition of decorating.  I'm going to bring him back out, set him around the house, and remind myself that it's okay to morph traditions, relax and just enjoy what's worth continuing!

My mom would be proud of me to bring him
back out and set him on the shelf.

The collar is all faded, but the face is
still adorable.

Still sits up right after all these years,
wonder if he can help the cats behave
this year so we can add back some other
decorations???? 

No comments:

Post a Comment