Monday, November 19, 2012

What would excite you?

“The question you should be asking isn’t, “What do I want?” or “What are my goals?” but “What would excite me?” – Timothy Ferriss (Author 4 Hour Workweek)
Okay, here's my secret for today.  I woke up excited this Monday, especially since this is a short work week!  I'm probably not the only person who is feeling that way.  My week will only be two days long as I have Wed - Fri off.  It is a nice break in the working world to have shorter work weeks once and awhile.  I find that having something to look forward to always makes life a bit more interesting.   What if every work week was only 4 hours long?  I'm thinking I should pick up that book and see what the author writes about it.  I do think his message is a cool one.  "What would excite me?"

As a parent, watching our two children make their life choices, I love the moments when they break the traditional rules and really go for what would excite them in life.  Rachel absolutely loves her little three year old classes.  Her excitement rubs off on the kids and they in turn love their classes too.  She followed what excited her for her schooling.  Sarah's love of art and French will take her somewhere.  She's just at the stage of applying to schools.  I remember how scary that was to "decide what I wanted to do" especially when I hadn't figured out "what I should do".  I never thought about what would excite me, it was more about staying out of debt.  What would it be like if we as parents coached our kids to do "what would excite their creativity"?  There's a lot of doom and gloom in our economy.  Unfortunately it puts generation after generation in debt following their dreams of higher education.  The dream of becoming someone that will "make a lot of money" or "doing something you know you're going to be good at".  Maybe, just maybe, something that "excites" them would do a better service to them and they would be happier in the long run?   The shoulda, coulda and woulda's of life can be overwhelming.

Just for today...dream and ask yourself "what would excite me?"  See how many moments you are smiling throughout the day!

Dare to dream outside
of the remote controlled black
and white world.

Throw in a splash of color!

See who's peeking around the corner.
They might have new words of wisdom.
Remember who's got your back
to support you along the way.

Take a closer look at
WHAT WOULD EXCITE YOU!!

No comments:

Post a Comment