Monday, September 10, 2012

Contemplating the harvest

"What we plant in the soil of contemplation, we shall reap in the harvest of action." – Meister Eckhart
When I browsed the seed catalog earlier this spring, I contemplated how well this would really work.  I definitely had hope it would reap the harvest shown in the picture.  Why wouldn't I, look at how many cherry tomatoes it would produce??  We could have salads, sandwiches, snacks, and man, oh, man, it would be yummy!   It says easy-to-grow and makes hanging a plant a show piece.  I think it was the "prove it to me" in me that decided it would be a fun experiment.  Months (yes, months) later, not for lack of watering and daily TLC, my little bag of tomato wonder has produced 15 tomatoes.  I must say, the ones it did produce were tasty.  Do I think I will reuse this bag next year?   Hmmm...something to ponder.

This does look like a showpiece...

Bag in the back, with little tomatoes
starting June 3

Oh, look, it is actually getting tomatoes
July 28

The tomatoes are turning red finally,
the leaves are turning yellow
Aug 28

More yellow leaves, and the tomatoes
are still taking their sweet time
to turn red enough to pick.  

Guess all the energy to turn red,
takes the life out of the green on the plant!
Believe it or not, there are new buds
at the top of the plant.  Sept 1st

First harvest.  ;-)  The green one is finally
red.  It ripened in the bowl.


No comments:

Post a Comment