Thursday, September 27, 2012

Reading - Thrifty Entertainment

The greatest gift is the passion for reading. It is cheap, it consoles, it distracts, it excites, it gives you knowledge of the world and experience of a wide kind. It is a moral illumination. 
Elizabeth Hardwick
When I was little, I remember being so enthralled with reading books.  We didn't have a lot of access to the public library since we lived out of the city limits.  The tiny library in our little country school was where I spent a lot of time picking out books.  I loved Little House on the Prairie and the Box Car Children series.  The sense of adventure and being able to transport yourself into the world the author was writing about was so fascinating to me.  Over the years, I was able to form a tiny little collection of books that I bought myself with my babysitting money.  Remember "book of the month" clubs?  I couldn't wait until the catalog came so I could pick out my next book.  I loved just holding the books.  Probably one of the reasons I don't have a Kindle yet.  I like turning the pages and setting the book on my shelf when I'm done reading.  I'm sure I'll get to the Kindle stage someday.  After all, I'm blogging and I never thought I'd do that either.  My Thursday blogs are about "thrifty" ideas.  Reading books from the library is definitely a thrifty way to find great entertainment.  Recently I discovered another great way to find deals on books.  When I had my adventure to Saver's with Sarah, I bought 5 books (buy 4, get one free).  What a great deal on some books that have been on my to-read list for some time, and very affordable.

The books on my shelf are as random as my thoughts in my blog.  Mysteries, self-help, religion, leadership, parenting, organization, decorating, financial, friendship...on and on.  The books remind me of how blessed my life has been over the years.  Some day, some day, I'll write that children's book I've always wanted to write.  While I can wait, (hint, hint to my daughters and their boyfriends...I really can wait for this), I look forward to the day I can hold my grandchildren and read them the books my girls loved reading with me when they were little.  "Are You My Mother?" was tattered from all the times we read it.  Ah...time to pick up a book, curl up in the chair, and enjoy a good story!


I guess I'll have to find room
for my 5 new books!

More of my favorite books
and treasures from my mom

No comments:

Post a Comment