Monday, September 3, 2012

On gardening mistakes

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
As I am learning more about my camera, I'm also discovering a little bit about gardening in the process.  My flowers have been an easy target for both pictures and lessons in nature.  Being an amateur gardener has it's benefits for discovering mistakes.  This year to support my daughter's French Club, I bought a bunch of bulbs.  Being that we had this awesome new memory garden ring around our new flag pole, I thought the glads and other bulbs would be perfect there.

Mistake/Discovery # 1 - Glads are tall flowers that need support and less wind.  The flagpole location is perfect for the flag.  We call our yard the "tundra" more days than not, so the flag is always flying nicely in the wind.  The glads on the other hand are a bit less happy.   They have become a tangled mess in the process.

Mistake/Discovery #2 - Just when you think that you're safe in your planting method, you'll discover you didn't wait long enough.  I was positive one section of the bulbs wouldn't come up so I planted marigolds in the area.  This weekend, I discovered some bulbs starting to sprout.  I'm not sure what they are, but I had to cut away some of a marigold plant so that the new sprouts could get some air and sunlight.  Guess I need to learn more patience!

Nature's messy looking sunset

Glads are supporting each other in
an interesting tangled mess
(made me think of friendship)-
"I get by with a little help from my friends"

The new sprouts - wonder what
these flowers will look like!

The tangled mess of glads

Intriguing way of supporting each other.




No comments:

Post a Comment