Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Welcoming autumn

"When the bold branches
Bid farewell to rainbow leaves -
Welcome wool sweaters."
-   B. Cybrill 

As I write this morning, it is 38 degrees outside.  Two days ago it was 60 degrees at this time.  It must have been closer to 32 degrees sometime during the night.  A faint frost remains on the railings of the deck this morning.  Copper's typical run about the yard was very short.  Being such a tiny little guy, the cold is not his favorite time of the year.  He spends more time shivering than running about.  Me, on the other hand, I love September.  I think it is my favorite month of the year.  The days are still warm and the nights cool down.  Warm sweaters and jeans replace t-shirts and shorts.  The fall colors replace the green of summer.  The sunrises and sunsets are so pretty with their extra glow of blues and golds.  The critters and bugs are busy getting ready for the winter.  The bees are busy gathering nectar from the last blooming flowers.  All summer long I waited to see what one of my new flower's blossoms would look like.  I really thought since they were such small buds, that they wouldn't take so long to blossom.  They finally started this week.  I know September also means, it is time to scramble and get any last minute yard work or outside projects done.  But for today, I'm enjoying remembering the summer and welcoming the fall.

Three different insects, a moth, honey
bee and bumble bee -  busy, busy, busy

Guess I should have used
the sport setting to catch the bumble
bee

Our maple tree - lost all of its
leaves at the top already

The corn is almost all golden and ready
for harvesting

The marigolds keep hanging on,
I like how all the stages are in this
picture.

Ah...a beautiful fall sunset!



No comments:

Post a Comment