Monday, February 25, 2013

Capturing fleeting moments

To photograph is to hold one’s breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality.  It’s at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.  Henri Cartier-Bresson
When photographing a series of events, it is fun when you actually capture something in the photograph that represents emotion as well as the fleeting reality.  My amateur experience in photography has been to capture "Okay, now smile, or okay, sit still" pictures.  I'm attempting now to be more spontaneous and click as things are happening instead of trying to catch the perfect moment.

Yesterday, Sarah informed me that she was going to color her hair again with Henna.  If you've read my posts for a while, I captured the previous event and the mess it made before.  This time, she told me, "Don't worry mom, I'm going to do it all by myself, you don't have to help."  Needing a break from the computer, I was happy to tag along on the journey and photograph key moments just for the fun of it.  I was pretty sure that at some moment along the way, she'd need my help, but I was more than willing to wait for that moment. I was able to sit around and take pictures of odd little things and just wait for moments to capture.  

It was nice to watch her make a mess that she'd have to clean up, instead of me having messy hands....well, that's until she got to the back of her head and needed assistance.  Even though there were the "Mom, you're not going to win this by me admitting I couldn't do it all by myself" moments, I was there ready to help when the admission did come.  Instead of rubbing it in that I was right, I helped her rub in the Henna and get messy too.  It was teamwork and I couldn't wait until this morning to see how it all turned out.

Just taking a break from life, to hold your breath, to watch for fleeting moments really is physically and intellectually fun!  Happy Monday - enjoy the moments of your day!  Thanks for stopping by!

New technique, Henna in a bag to squeeze it on.

Yuck....

I'm just going to swirl it on top of my head and
make a helmet like thing...

It's going well, starting to get
heavy on her head!

Time for random shots.  She's going to redecorate
so here's the new mirror, reflection of the towel
catching the poo droppings as I called them.

What's this, Sailor Moon and
Sponge Bob Square Pants -
randomly situated in the crafts?!

Oh my...don't worry mom, it will all wash down
the drain...remember it's all natural!

This is my favorite fleeting moment.  I like how her
elbow is sitting on the poster and I caught the wrap
in a cool moment!

The helmet, all wrapped up ready for a cover
to sit...for hours, and hours, and hours...

The cover to hold it all in place.  Like how the
umbrellas are placed??  Well, it's a reach for a
great photo, other than her eyes make it
beautiful no matter what!



No comments:

Post a Comment