Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Take your time, but be very quick

Think about the photo before and after, never during.  The secret is to take your time.  You mustn’t go too fast.  The subject must forget about you.  Then, however, you must be very quick.  Henri Cartier-Bresson
Oh boy, that's a difficult task to accomplish.  Take your time, but be very quick at the same time.  I think that's why they have designed cameras with the continuous capture mode.  Especially with moving targets.  I sure admire the photographers who have mastered the technique.  I'm happy to say, I'm not there yet and look forward to many more opportunities to discover the technique.

How about you?  What's your favorite technique?  Do you get lost in the "during" the moment of the picture?  Do you think about what might happen and wait too long?  Do you wait until the subject forgets about you or are you trying to catch their attention to get the best shot?

The subject must forget about you, and then at the precise moment after they forget about you, you catch the best shot.  Sounds fairly easy eh?   So I gave it a try.  I know that Dessy always "gears" up before she jumps.  She has a lot of extra fluff to carry on the journey, so she really makes sure she's ready before she jumps.  Once she's ready to go though, the moment is very quick.  I tried to capture the moment yesterday.  I didn't have my Nikon set on the sports mode, so I caught the moment in an awkward kind of way.  I guess I was quick, but not as effective as I hoped I would be.  I was ready to capture the moment though.

Well...again, like I said, I'm thankful for the continued opportunities to practice the technique!  Thanks for stopping by!  Happy Wednesday!

Gearing up - seems a bit concerned about
me trying to capture her flight.

Caught in flight...not a fun picture, but you can see
the extra fluff she carries along on the journey!


No comments:

Post a Comment