Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wrinkles are us

"Wrinkles are painless and harmless.  They are us and we are them." - William H. Thomas, MD
Last night I was mentioning to my husband that I've been writing this blog for 200 days in a row.  That made me think about how time really flies.  If I try to think back to all that has happened in the last 200 days, it does seem like a blur.  Does that mean that I'm getting older and can't remember?  I'm sure the thought does cross my mind, especially after losing a parent to Dementia.  Maybe I'm extra sensitive to memory lapses or maybe it's just the admission that I'm getting older.

Time flying by...or getting older?  I glanced over to my shelf and saw this book that I haven't read yet.  After I read the quote above on the inside flap, I was curious to see how the author would grab the reader's attention.  I opened up to the first chapter and began to read about wrinkles.

I must say, it is a very clever first chapter.  The eye opener was his comparison of humans to elephants.  The author states that wrinkles are made by having the following ingredients.  I'll paraphrase the list:  a prolonged exposure of hairless skin to sunlight, a long enough life to experience age-related changes to skin collagen, and an exposure to free radicals that alter our skin proteins.  Humans, just like elephants share these characteristics.  He goes on to say..."We are elephant's dermatological first cousins.  We are human pachyderms."

Well, isn't that an interesting way to start your Wednesday?  I think I better read a bit further...and I better go put on some more hand lotion.  The winter weather, the hand washing, and aging the skin on my hands...they might just be looking like an elephant's skin...oh dear!!

Thanks for stopping by!  Happy Wednesday - cover up so you don't expose your hairless skin to the sunlight!

At least my hand isn't shaped
like an elephant's foot!

No comments:

Post a Comment