Sunday, February 17, 2013

The nocturnal deer tracks

People knew that animals were nocturnal but they didn’t really know what they did because they couldn’t see it. – David Attenborough
Yesterday morning when we opened the curtains and looked outside, we saw proof that something has been trimming our trees while we sleep.  We've always thought it was the rabbits, but these tracks are not rabbit tracks.  They must be deer tracks.  The deer made their way around the trees and then went back into the corn field.  I don't know for sure, but I would suspect that if the deer dug around in the corn field, they'd find more to eat than they do nibbling on our small little trees.

I did some reading up on when the deer move at night?  We rarely see them during the day.  Apparently, they come out in cycles from dusk to dawn.  More active from 10:00 pm to 12:00 am and 2:00 am to 4:00 am.  I'm definitely not awake at those times, therefore I won't be catching a photo.  I guess we could buy one of those deer cams.  I don't really need to see them doing what the tracks clearly show.  I just wish they'd choose the field of abundance over the little trees in our yard.  Maybe I'll need to research how to scare them away.  I know our cats are awake at those times.  Maybe they are watching the deer at night?  Apparently the cats watching the deer from the windows in our house isn't "scary" enough.

I'm thankful that spring is just around the corner!  I'm hopeful the deer will then find a different spot to graze!

Thanks for stopping by!  Hope you have a great day!

Look how the deer methodically walked
by each tree. 

No, not rabbits, definitely deer tracks!

No comments:

Post a Comment