Thursday, February 28, 2013

A bell, a song, and love to give

A bell’s not a bell ‘til you ring it, A song’s not a song ‘til you sing it, Love in your heart wasn’t put there to stay, Love isn’t love ‘til you give it away! – Oscar Hammerstein II
This morning as I walked past my mom's collection of bells, I started to wonder why she enjoyed them so.  Was it the sound, was it the shape, was it the memories of the moments when she received them?  I remember growing up and giving them to her as gifts and she always enjoyed them.  I remember too, having to dust them and then wondering why we had so many.  This morning when I looked at them, it made me wonder more about where one of them, in particular, came from.  For as long as I can remember it was always on display.  It must have been a special school bell for her.  Now that she's gone, I can't ask her where she got it from.   She probably told me at sometime, but I can't remember now.  I can however, hold on to it and the ones that represent the moments we shared together.  The mystery of why she had them can be something to ponder and reflect upon.  Most of all, it reminds me of the love she gave away every time she received one.  

Happy Thursday - enjoy your moments where you share a bell to ring, a song to sing and a love to give away!  Thanks for stopping by!

A treasured school bell,
I wonder how many people
heard this bell over the years...?

No comments:

Post a Comment