Thursday, February 14, 2013

Love is more than three words

But love, I’ve come to understand, is more than three words mumbled before bedtime.  Love is sustained by action, a pattern of devotion in the things we do for each other every day. – Nicholas Sparks
Valentine's Day, the day when the merchants who specialize in "having that perfect gift" to win your loved ones' heart, is upon us once again.  I remember back to when my husband and I first fell in love.  Valentine's Day is the day he gave me my engagement ring.  We had picked it out months before that, and he waited for the special day to give it to me.  I was elated of course, as I was "officially" marked as in love with someone special.  The next big day was our wedding day when the engagement ring was combined with the wedding band, and the ceremony made it official.

Those big moments are precious and I would never trade them for anything in the world.  But...if I think about what makes me love him the most, besides every "I love you's" said, is that his actions on a daily basis, show his devotion to me and our family.  Day in day out, he's there for us.  I've come to understand, that is true love in unspoken words.

As I sit here in the warm house, my husband is out there snow blowing so we can get out of the driveway and Copper can find his way in the yard, (Remember he's very short and a couple inches of snow is an obstruction to his doing his business.).  My husband doing that for a little dog...I think that's true love too...

What do you do for your loved ones?  Maybe you enjoy carrying on the "young love" traditions, dining, flowers, chocolate, or a bear or two?  Maybe you enjoy seeing a movie?  Maybe just taking a walk together?   The moments and the memories go on for ever.  I'm hoping to find a way to create a special memory everyday...it's all the every days that make up the I Love You's for a lifetime.

Happy Valentine's Day -

Snow blowing in the dark

Snow blowing a path for the dog

A lifetime of quiet moments
just holding hands
and enjoying time together!
 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment