Monday, January 21, 2013

A gratitude visit

You can’t stay in your corner of the forest waiting for others to come to you.  You have to go to them sometimes. – Winnie The Pooh
Day 9 - The Positive Dog Challenge - Today the author suggests that you write a letter to someone in your life, current or past that you are grateful for.  Then go and visit them and read them the letter.  I know that I have sent thank you notes to people in the past, but the piece that I missed is seeing if the message was received as intended.  Maybe that's the part that is the most important?  Have you experienced someone coming to you to tell you that they are grateful for you?  Think about it, it is a very positive experience.  How about an old boss, a dear friend, a family member, a mentor?  What about them are you grateful for?

I remember back to when I got my driver's license.  Being in the big high school, I couldn't help but think back on grade school and the great teachers I had.  One day I was thinking about how some of the messages they shared back then were now coming true (or at least I was finally recognizes them...).  A few days later, I drove over to my grade school to walk around.  I found my favorite teachers and told them how much I appreciated them and what a difference they had made in my life.  They were touched and thanked me for stopping by.  Just seeing they were touched by my random visit...you know, did make me feel more positive too.

I guess that's what the author is suggesting.  Sharing your gratitude in writing confirms what you are feeling and sharing it in person solidifies the feelings and the experience is positive.

Thanks for stopping by - good luck on your adventure out of the forest!  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment