Friday, January 4, 2013

Dream about what touches your soul

People’s dreams are made out of what they do all day.  The same way a dog that runs after rabbits will dream of rabbits.  It’s what you do that makes your soul, not the other way around. – Barbara Kingsolver
Oh dear, I hope that my dreams are not made out of filing and organizing receipts for taxes!  That's what I did all day yesterday.  I like the organizing part though...so I better dream about better ways of organizing at the front end of the process so I don't do have to spend a day on the receipts at tax time next year.  I was so exhausted by the end of the day.  My dream job definitely doesn't consist of day-in-day out repetition of tasks.  I know that about myself, so I prefer to create systems that prevent the need for long periods of repetition.  If you spend the day on a task and are exhausted afterwards, not energized, then maybe it isn't a dream task for you.  You're looking for the "I can't wait to get up tomorrow and do it all again feeling" to create a life you've dreamed about.  I woke up determined to find a way to make the organizing of receipts fun for me.  I'm looking forward to it today.

How do you make what you do something you dream about?  Not nightmares, I'm talking about when you dream about your life in a way that you live and breathe and enjoy what you do all day long?  Think about your past work experience.  When were you having so much fun that the day just flew by?  Those are the days when you were working in your strengths/gifts.  The tasks or activities you were doing make up your dream roles.  When you're starting out on a new journey in your career life, it is a great time to step back and think about what really touches your soul.  What skills do you have that you absolutely love using?  Those skills can be the beginning of the composition of your dream job.  What are you really good at?  Maybe you just need to practice more at those skills when you get the chance?   The word dream has a beyond the current moment component.  Don't just settle, dream and reach for something new.

I know Copper dreams about chasing rabbits.  He knows they are out there, he believes that if he keeps chasing, he'll get one one of these days.  The rabbits know just how far he will go to catch them.   They know the fence and the tea house are the greatest barriers to his pursuit.  I guess they have a great working relationship because they are using their individual skills and they keep reaching for the next level.  Simple as their lives may be, they sure look like they enjoy it and they look forward to it every single time.

Wishing you a day to dream about what touches your soul!

The rabbit

The rabbit turning for safety - I'm sure she heard
my camera clicking!

The rabbit heading under for safety -
she just heard Copper barking!

Copper:  "Where, oh where, oh where's the rabbit???
I'm up for the chase....just let me out!"

No comments:

Post a Comment