Sunday, January 13, 2013

On gratitude and a thank you walk

We often take for granted the very things that most deserve our gratitude. – Cynthia Ozick
If you're a San Francisco 49er's fan, you're very thankful this morning.  For a Packer Fan, it might be hard to wake up today and feel thankful about last night's game.  It just wasn't meant to be.   There were some great moments and some not so great moments.  I'm sure they are thankful for the opportunity to get that far in the season and for the lessons they learned.  It's time now to move on and look forward to next year's season.

So...what are you going to do in the meantime?  To kick start into a new direction, how about joining me on an 11 day challenge discovering the benefits of being positive???  What???  A challenge???  Yes, a challenge.  If you're already well into your New Year's resolution challenge, this one will help keep you moving forward.  If you've already given up on your New Year's resolution, this one will help you get back on track.  If you simply stop by this blog wondering what random thought I have to share, at least you'll know for the next 11 days, it will be positive.

Okay...on to the challenge.  If you've already read this book, I'd love to hear if it worked for you or not?  If you haven't read this book, it is a quick read and the message is...well, positive of course!  The author ends the book with an 11 day challenge (i.e., Action Plan) and promises that if you follow it you will choose strategies and exercises that feed your life with positive habits.  Being positive is a choice!

The book - The Positive Dog by Jon Gordon

The book - A story about the Power of Positivity

This is my positive dog - Copper
This is after his Thank You Walk -
When I let him out this morning, there were 2
rabbits waiting for him to chase.  He is
very thankful and resting up for the next round.

Copper checking out the book...I'm sure he'll
enjoy the challenge, he's always up for whatever
I have planned.  

Day 1 - Take a Thank You Walk

Take a walk today.  As you walk, think about all the things in life you are grateful for.  That's it, simple eh?  Now, we're talking...you can do it, so can I.  I know you'll enjoy it.

A daily walk/run is already part of my routine.  If I'm on the treadmill, I multitask by reading a book.  Yes, the book above was yesterday's read.  You know, the treadmill can be boring.  To make it more exciting I add a book to read.  I am thankful for the ability to do both as I get to learn something at the same time I'm exercising.  When I run with my husband, I'm thankful for the bonding time and the long chats we share.  When I walk/run outside, especially if I'm on my own, I do spend more time thinking about how thankful I am.  Like being thankful for the ability to run, the fresh air, things that went well during the day, things I'm looking forward to, the opportunity to relax and burn off some calories, and the beauty in nature.

In retrospect, I do feel better after a thank you walk.  No matter where or when you walk, I agree the Thank You Walk is really a great way to feel more positive.  How about you???  What are you thankful for - take a walk and discover the double benefit of feeling grateful and the boost of energy exercise provides!

Thanks for joining the challenge - see you tomorrow for Day 2!


No comments:

Post a Comment