Sunday, January 6, 2013

Activity and rest - a balancing act to master

Activity and rest are two vital aspects of life.  To find a balance in them is a skill in itself.  Wisdom is knowing when to have rest, when to have activity, and how much of each to have.  Finding them in each other – activity in rest and rest in activity – is the ultimate freedom. – Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
The average adult requires 7-9 hours of sleep at night.  As we age, we require closer to what was needed as as a younger adult - up to 10 hours of sleep.  Sleep should be restful and continuous to count as 7-9 hours of sleep.  A night where you wake up frequently due to a racing mind, bathroom breaks or being uncomfortable, even if you stayed there for 7-9 hours, isn't a complete night of sleep.  You'll know that is the case when you wake up feeling tired.  So, why the ramblings about sleep?

Okay...I'm rationalizing...yesterday, I was feeling tired, even after a 7 hours of sleep the night before so I took a nap.  I told my family I was going to just lay down for a little while so that I would be able to stay up for the Packer game last night.  (Yes, I was able to stay up for the whole game - YEAH Packers!!)  Four hours, yes, you read that correctly FOUR hours later, I woke up from my nap.  I guess my body was telling me that I haven't done a great job of balancing sleep and activity and I needed to catch up on some sleep?

Maybe I'm going through the recovery time from last year's stress?  Or it is simply not having to be somewhere every day that is allowing my body time to rest?   Maybe I'm spending too much time with my pets, they seem to have the skill of balancing between activity and sleep down to a science.  I don't hear them complaining about not having a good nights' sleep.  They are always ready to go when the alarm clock goes off in the morning.  They jump up ready for the occasion when the door bell rings in the middle of the afternoon.  When they've raced around like crazy, playing with each other, they know they need to pause and take a rest.  They always rest after eating.  Yes, they definitely have the balancing act mastered!

Why do we as humans forget to recognize the natural need to rest?  Why do we wait until our bodies bless us with a cold or the flu to remind us of the need for rest?  Why not take the time to balance activity and rest?  If you're a parent, remember back to when your kids were little.  As parents, we knew better than our kids when they needed to stop and rest.  We told them it was nap time when they were extra crabby or life just seemed to make them cry at the drop of a toy.  Sometimes their little bodies would just take over and shut them down for rest, even during meals, or play.  But...after a nap, they were like new.  Full of energy to tackle the next activity, and always with a huge let's conquer life smile!

Our bodies naturally know when they need to rest.  What we need to do is to master the skill of balancing activity and rest.  Just think of how much freedom we would have if we didn't feel tired.  We could start and go as needed and enjoy life just like a cat or dog does.  It's a little too early in the day for me to take a nap.  As I look around though, the pets have gone back to their resting spots...recharging for their next adventure.

Here's to wishing you moments to listen to your body - just imagine the freedom you'll have when you feel refreshed and energized!  Don't feel guilty taking a nap, your body will thank you!

Find a comfy chair, with a little sunshine, and
shut your eyes for a little while.

Lay down and take a nap when you need it.
Okay, maybe not a box,
but it appears to work for Tizzie!

Any box will do - she seems to fit in the ones she chooses!

Dessy on the other hand, thinks
her fluff is small enough to nap in a
shoe box...Tizzie knows better!



No comments:

Post a Comment